AmigaActive (1240/2143)

From:Don Cox
Date:17 May 2000 at 10:38:27
Subject:Re: Validation Problems

On 16-May-00, alansheriff@ukonline.co.uk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my wife, (you gotta love `em), in her infinite wisdom, switched off
> the Amiga, straight after quitting Genesis & Microdot, but before
> waiting for the disk activity to finish. Now when I try to run
> Genesis, Voyager etc. I get the message `Volume Internet is not
> validated, retry/cancel`. Retrying does nothing, but bring back the
> requestor, whilst canceling allows the program to load, but usually
> ends up crashing the computer or bringing up an `illegal activity-
> reboot/suspend` requestor. I`ve tried using quarterback to sort it but
> apparently the volume has no `valid volume bitmap` & then before it
> finishes checking the drive quarterback crashes.
> Any ideas what I can do about it, that doesn`t involve reformatting a
> 2 gig partition?

The Amiga should be validating the partition, the disk light should be
on. It could take an hour or more to validate a big partition full of
small files. Just leave it for a while.

If it really doesn't clear itself (your attempts with Quarterback may
have made it impossible), the best bet is to copy all the files to
another partition and reformat. Disksalv takes forever on theses big
partitions.

Regards

Don Cox
doncox@enterprise.net

IT Professionals: Match your unique skills with the best IT projects at